New year’s resolutions and why NOT to make them
We all know it’s true; gym-goers and resolution-makers alike.
January is probably the single busiest month for every gym out there. Why?
The answer is obvious, isn’t it?…
The infamous New Years Resolutions, which almost ALWAYS include some version of the following; lose weight, get in shape, go to the gym, diet, etc. etc. etc.
But here’s what I want to know; is there something magical about January the 1st? Is the air richer or more refreshing or more enabling? Is there something about each of us individually that makes us more compelled to complete these goals if we wait until the 1st to begin?
…or is it really just that we all just ate like a bunch of behemoths over the holidays, and since everyone else waits until January 1st, then we can too without looking too lazy? Is it just that the date on a calendar gives us something tangible to grasp at, a justifiable reason to procrastinate, a traditional starting point?
Hmmm, I could be wrong, but I’m ruling out the magic, and I’m encouraging you to start your resolutions NOW.
And even more than that, I encourage you not to call them New Years Resolution, or even “resolutions” at all…
Instead, how about lifestyle changes.
Call it like it is.
And start today.
Waiting will not make it easier.
Waiting will not make you want it any more.
Waiting will not make you more likely to stick to it.
It’s really just an excuse to put if off a little longer.
So here’s what you do:
* Decide what goals you really, truly WANT to achieve – pick your priorities
* Make realistic plans to achieve them and don’t constrain yourself with time frames – realize it’s going to take a while
* Implement those plans; if not all at once, then sequentially – do what it takes
* Most importantly – do not wait
Easy enough, right? 😉
SO, GO GET STARTED!
- Why I HATE New Years Resolutions (carrotsandlunges.wordpress.com)
- What Are You Waiting For? (wakeupnate.com)